Make Jennifer Garner’s Best Christmas Recipe
It’s the season of madness, folks! And that means several things: first, Mariah Carey plays on repeat, and second, the festive baking is in full swing. If you’d like some inspiration for your next dessert, let us bring you this chocolate chip bread recipe, which is an old Jennifer Garner favorite – and featured on her #PretendCookingShow.
The recipe for chocolate chip bread comes from Rose Beranbaum and Garner shared that this bread, which isn’t overwhelmingly sweet, is a great way to start the morning if you’re feeling indulgent.
Here is how to do it.
Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe, Shared by Jennifer Garner
What you will need:
- 3 tbsp plus 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of boiling water
- 1/2 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 13 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips or sweet and sour chocolate (chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (around 176C).
- Whisk cocoa and boiling water until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, then gently whisk in the vanilla and eggs.
- In a bowl, combine the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add half the chocolate paste and the butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 1 minute to aerate and develop structure. Scrape down sides of bowl. Gradually add the rest of the chocolate paste in two batches, beating 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure. Scrape the bowl. Stir in the mini chocolate chips / chopped chocolate.
- Distribute the dough in the prepared loaf pan and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center will read around 200F (around 90C). (The bread should not start to shrink from the sides of the pan until it is taken out of the oven.)
- Place the bread on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Loosen the sides of the bread and invert it on an oiled rack. Turn it over so it’s on top and cools completely.
If you’d like to see Garner attempt to bake this chocolate chip bread in the wee hours of the morning, check out the video below.
If you want simpler dessert recipes like this sweet bread from Jennifer Garner, here are five more options you can try at home.